This is a list of books and magazines I have either read or am still reading this month. I will give title of book or magazine, author of book, a one, two or three sentence description of said book or magazine and a time rating. My time rating will consist of a number of teacups, with fractions of a tea cup representing a ten minute interval for reading. If the book or magazine listed is a work in progress, I will indicate that this is so by using an * by the number and the teacup rating will be for either one chapter in an in progress book or one article in an in progress magazine. This post is about the first ten books and magazines. With no further ado, here they are!
1. STAR WARS: DARTH BANE: THE RULE OF TWO by Drew Karpyshyn. The second book in his trilogy of books about Darth Bane, the Sith Lord who created the Rule of Two a millennium before the Battle of Yavin. 6 teacups.
2. FOOD CURES:A by the editors of Reader’s Digest. A not very interesting book. 2-1/2 teacups.
3. CLASSIC STAR WARS: SPLINTER OF THE MIND’S EYE byAlan Dean Foster. This book is set in the first year or less after the events of the original movie and follows Luke, Leia, R2 and 3PO through a messy adventure on Mimban, a swampy world. They are assisting an old, somewhat Force Sensitive grifter named Halla seeking a legendary local power place called the Temple of Pomojema and the equally legendary Kaiburr Crystal. 1-3/4 teacups.
4*. Jubal Sackett by Louis L’Amour. This is the fourth of his Sackett novels, telling the story of American history through the eyes of a single family. This book is about Jublain Sackett, also called Jubal, one of the second generation of Sackett’s in America and tells of his travels west of the Mississippi River to the Sangre de Christo Mountains in what is is modern day New Mexico seeking Itchakomi Ishaia, a princess of the Natchee (Natchez) Indians of what is now modern day Louisiana. 4 teacups.
5. Claws and Effect: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown. I’ve forgotten what this particular Mrs. Murphy Mystery is about. 7 teacups
6. The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander. This is the third book in his Prydain Chronicles and tells the story of how Princess Eilonwy of the red-gold hair endures her education as a Princess. 3 teacups.
7. The Great Bird Flu Hoax: The Truth They Don’t Want you to know about “The Next Big Pandemic” by Dr. Joseph Mercola with Pam Killeen. A bunch of anti flu vaccination propaganda! DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGH TOLERANCE FOR HORSE HOCKEY! 1-1/16th of a teacup…my lowest rating so far.
8. January 2013 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Magazine by staff. This is the first issue of the 125th anniversary year! 6 teacups
9. Comforts of Home Cooking complied by the editors of Midwestern Living Magazine. It’s a cookbook. 3 teacups.
10*. STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED by Sean Williams. The novelization of the STAR WARS game of the same title. 3/4 of a teacup.